I recently bought a Baofeng UV-3R+ 2m/70cm handheld. I always said I would never buy a Baofeng, but I wanted something cheap that I could throw about at work and not worry about. Anyway, we all know that you get what you pay for in life. It comes with a desktop charger, which had a problem. It has a USB cable and a small DC jack which plugs into the base itself. When I first plugged the DC plug in, it felt weird. It did work, but you had to fiddle with the plug to get it to make a connection. What happened is it had pushed the centre pin of the small DC socket backwards, because it must have not been central in the socket.
UV-3R Charger DC pin bent back
To fix it, I decided to drill a small hole above the socket, just big enough for the cable, cut the DC plug off and solder the wires direct to the PCB.
UV-3R+ Desktop Charger – Fixed!
Fixed, no connection problems now!
Hmm, what to do on a bank holiday Monday? Well, we decided to purchase the aluminium to build a 15m and 10m Yagi about 6 months ago, so it was time to make something of it. Dave M0TAZ is building a 4 element 15m Yagi, and I am building a 3 element 10m Yagi. Dave started constructing his 15m beam this week. It is a DK7ZB 28Ω feed-point 4 element Yagi, with a forward gain of ~6.4dBd. The elements are tapered with 3 different sizes of tubing and the boom is 40mm square and 5m long. All that’s needed now is the feed-point arrangement and it’s ready for testing! Still, it looks great and is very rigid. Cant wait to get it on the mast! Here are a few photos for now…
The 15m Monoband Yagi
The 15m Yagi – Disassembled. About £100 worth of aluminium!
Our club took part in Operation Bunker at the Kelvedon Hatch ‘Secret’ Nuclear Bunker at the weekend. Operation Bunker was a military vehicle, memorabilia and re-enactment weekend attended by vintage military personnel from all over the South East.
We operated the bunker special call GB0SNB from beside the main mast, using SSB, CW and Data modes. In total we contacted 368 stations in 47 countries around the world. Our best DX was into Chile at 11,330 KM on 14 MHz digital modes. I used my IC-7200 for data on Saturday, with my end fed half wave vertical on 20m and higher bands. On the Sunday, we used an IC-7100.
You can take a look at the log (and other statistics) by clicking here. Also, some images from the weekend are in the HDARC gallery.
The club operating at GB0SNB ‘Operation Bunker’ 2015
At the weekend, we took part in the RSGB RoPoCo (ROtating POst COdes) contest, which is always fun. We operated with Dave’s call, M0TAZ, from a portable location. Last year, we did really well, and we had zero errors in the log. Activity seemed a bit lower this year, but we did start 10 minutes late as Dave M0TAZ forgot to bring a key part of the equipment, the battery! We worked 47 stations in an hour and twenty minutes.
RoPoCo 2015 – After setting up the antenna, Dave has to drive home and get the battery he forgot to bring!
Its always funny when you are given odd exchanges. I remember last year we was given 001 to pass on rather than a postcode and this year was no different, with a few odd exchanges but we just passed them on as there’s not a lot you can do! We used my IC-7200 with a half wave inverted v, 11m at the centre.
RoPoCo 2015 – the setup inside the car.
Look forward to next year and I’m sure
we Dave wont forget the battery next time
I have always been a Linux fan and have owned a Raspberry Pi for some time which I use for all sorts of things. A new model was released in February, the Raspberry Pi 2 model B, so I got one. It’s quite impressive with its quad core 900MHz cpu and 1GB RAM.
Now my old model B+ was redundant, I decided to set it up as a home server to run some services that I was previously using a cheap VPS for. The server is at http://j0hn.uk and is pictured below.
The B+ has a 700 MHz (clocked to 800MHz) ARM1176JZF-S CPU, 512MB RAM and is using an 8GB micro SD for Storage. It is a very capable little machine and is running many server applications. Power is provided from an iPhone charger at present, but I am currently building a UPS for the Pi, but as of today, its been up since first boot, 26 days ago.
The Raspberry Pi is a great tool for all sorts. More info is at raspberrypi.org
Quite a few people have been asking about the capacitive touch boards since I ran out of IC’s. I now have some more available to purchase. If you would like one, you can buy one on the capacitive touch key page.
New capacitive touch key boards
At the weekend, M0TAZ and myself took part in the first 1.8MHz Contest. We have taken part in these for a few years now, most notably 3 years ago in 6″ of snow, and last year getting the car bogged in the mud. We usually do quite well in the SSB only category, as most participants opt for CW or mixed.
Thankfully this year was mild, and not so muddy. The contest runs from 9PM to 1AM, and we used a top band dipole fed with 300Ω feeder. The centre of the dipole was at 60 ft (18m), and was of course 260ft (80m) long.
The big inverted V.
Using an Icom 7100 and 32w (the maximum for this part of the band) we managed to work 60 stations including England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, Netherlands and Germany. Activity from the UK seemed to be low, perhaps due to the contest falling on Valentines day this year.
If anybody has sent me an email recently and has not got a reply, please resend it. I had a mailbox fail which has since been fixed. Thanks